Saturday, February 24, 2018

Book Review - Tasting Beer by Randy Mosher

I recently finished Randy Mosher's invaluable resource for the aspiring beer connoisseur, Tasting Beer, 2nd edition, Kindle version.  Since I have made beer tasting into a hobby, I thought this book would be a must-read for me.  Indeed it has expanded my knowledge and horizons and given me a much deeper appreciation of both beer making and tasting.  The most enjoyable parts are the history of beer, which is as old as civilization itself. Discussions on the history of beer styles were fun as well.  Fun fact, even the ancient Sumerians had a light beer, named eb-la, literally "lessens the waist."

Mosher is nothing if not passionate about his subject.  It also helps that he is well connected with craft brewers and with the beer judging community.  He attempts to leave no style undocumented and no nuance of flavor undescribed.  The book gives the beer taster a vocabulary and the necessary tools to develop his or her own skills at tasting beer.  I have to admit that the technical discussion of taste and smell was a challenge.  Since I don't aspire to professional taster or judger status, perhaps I wasn't as motivated for those parts.  But, if you are so interested, this is a perfect companion to the Cicerone Beer Tasting certification program. However, if you just want to have a handy reference and style guide, Tasting Beer is a resource that no serious beer drinker should be without.

I think this book would be better as hardcover or softcover, because it is such a great reference. Hosting a dessert party, and want to know what chocolates pair with what beers?  Chapter 7 has your answer.  Can't remember if Bière de Garde is a lager or an ale? Beer styles from around the world are explained. (Bière de Garde is the only significant native French style.)  Need help describing the flavor of your favorite nut brown, Chapter 3 explains the vocabulary of beer tasting.

I highly recommend Tasting Beer in your library if you are at all serious about beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment